Again, I am hearing rumors and speculation about my motivation for running for public office.
I received a call last week from an acquaintance and then got a a similar Facebook chat message telling me that rumors are flying that I was paid off not to submit the required 600 signatures to run as a candidate with no party affiliation for the office of state representative for the 105th district.
So, this time I was paid off NOT to run.
To set the record straight here are the facts:
- To run as a state representative candidate with no party affiliation the legal requirement is to submit 600 valid signatures to the Bureau of Elections by July 21 at 4:30 pm. To run as a Democrat or a Republican the requirement is $100 or 200 signatures. Both candidates currently on the ballot paid the $100 fee as I did two years ago. This is a problem within our system of ballot access.
- My friends, supporters and I gathered signatures for about 45 days and came up short by about 75 signatures. Even with only 525 signatures I believe that I earned the right to be on the ballot and those who signed my petitions earned the right to have another alternative in the election this November. Remember, the Democrat and Republican had ZERO petitions signed.
- Ultimately I was responsible for the planning, organization and execution of the plan to collect 600 valid petition signatures and I failed to execute my plan in the required time frame. There is nothing sinister or nefarious about the inability to meet the requirements.
Two years ago the rumors were that I was paid-off by Jason Allen to RUN in the primary against Triston Cole in an effort to draw “conservative” votes away from Cole so that Tony Cutler could win the primary election ($40,000 was the dollar amount I heard). None of this is true and to whomever started and spread that rumor I say “Let’s see your proof”.
So, first I am paid off to run then I am paid off not to run!
I cannot be bought or paid off . PERIOD!
So to address the original comprehensive package of falsehoods about my character:
- Two years ago Triston Cole told anyone that would listen to him thattwo of my “associates” and I drove to his house to infiltrate his campaign and somehow convinced him to surrender “sensitive campaign lists” and materials to me to help me in my run against him in the primary. I believe the lie that was promoted was that I stole his lists (and his secret sauce recipe too).
- The only lists I ever received from Triston Cole were lists of Montmorency County voters that were sent to me via email on October 18th 2013 which he received from Denise Pallarito on October 15th
- These lists I already had in my possession because my County Chairwoman and I had paid the Montmorency County Clerk for the same lists about 2 months previously and I told Mr. Cole this when he sent them to me.
- Mr. Cole sent those lists to me because he asked me to convert them from PDF format to Excel format which I did and sent them back to him after the conversion. I also researched campaign donations made to Representative MacMaster and Pettalia and Senator Moolenaar and sent him lists of their contributors to those campaigns.
I have saved all email correspondence regarding this issue – I am willing to put my facts on the table against any rumor, speculation, conjecture, lies, half-truths, slanders or fantasies.
I have grown weary of listening to speculation about my intentions and motivations and have grown tired of having to respond to these tactics so it’s time to let the facts be known.
In 2014 I decided to run in the primary as a Republican candidate because I did not have confidence in Triston Coles ability to tell the truth and be honest with the people of the 105th District; he was less than truthful about his support for a part-time legislature, he falsely told potential contributors that I had donated to his campaign in an effort to get them to contribute, I don’t believe he understands from a Constitutional perspective what is the proper role and function of government, and now I know he is willing to fabricate stories about pretty much anything.
I attempted to run again in 2016 because having a “conservative” representative who is only half conservative is not enough. Having a Representative who is willing to raise taxes more than he cuts them and who works to increases the burden of government more than he works to reduce it is not good enough in my estimation.
I ran in 2014 and attempted to run again in 2016 because I believe that I would be a better representative for the people of the 105th District and I am even more convinced of that now.
Unfortunately the same kind of lies and falsehoods keep popping up about me and my motivation and they always seem to originate from the area of Mancelona in Antrim County.